Relationships with Parents
Your relationship with your parents may be confusing right now. As you are growing and changing, you have more responsibilities and also more freedom to spend time with others. While you may feel ready to make your own decisions about where and when you go places, your parents may put limits on you because they care about you and your safety.
Here are some tips for how to avoid and handle arguments with your parents:
- Discuss the rules ahead of time and not at the last minute.
- Try to remain calm and do not lose your temper when your parents say no to something.
- If you're being responsible and following rules, your parents may be willing to negotiate now or in the future.
- Pick your battles. Try to figure out what is really bothering you. This will help you to know if it is worth arguing about.
- Spend time with your family. Communicate with each other and make some special family time so that you can all enjoy the time you spend at home.
Remember that healthy relationships are about feeling good about who YOU are and feeling SAFE and comfortable with another person. You have the power to create healthy relationships all around you just by paying attention to who you are and what makes you happy. By getting to know yourself, it will get easier to recognize the differences between healthy and unhealthy relationships. Communication, trust and respect are the key ingredients for healthy relationships.